While 2015 turned out to be an amazing year in Duathlon for me, culminating in my third USAT Masters Athlete of the Year Honor, it was a roller coaster of events, including a wounded appearance at Duathlon Worlds in Australia (a fractured clavicle 7 weeks before the event), followed by a more serious injury which began to reveal itself right after Worlds, as I prepared for my final Nationals competition of 2015, the Long Course Duathlon at the Texas Motor Speedway. After that race I was noticeably absent in 2016.

In my last post of 2015 I shared my joy in victory while competing along side my very talented husband who also won an age group title at his first duathlon nationals, in a very competitive mens field. As I vigorously prepared for Worlds, riding the wave of being a National Age Group Champion, my plan was abruptly interrupted during a training ride as both wheels of my bike dropped into an expansion crack in the road, traveling at 25 mph.
 |
| Back on the saddle |
The pieces of my clavicle were put back together by Dr. Flesher, yep, he's practically on speed dial! As soon as I was allowed to sweat on my incision, I was back on my bike, trying to figure out how to get myself to Australia for Duathlon World's, in some sort of competitive form.
 |
| Me and Mom in Adelaide |
With just weeks until the event, I garnered as much courage as I could, and spent my time spinning indoors on a trainer. Once my clavicle was starting to heal, I strapped my shoulder sling as tightly as possible around my waist and headed out in the neighborhood to run.
My neighbors thought me a bit crazy, though one lady did say I was "inspirational" as I asymmetrically bounded through the streets of the Fairfax neighborhood with my right arm stepped firmly to my body. It was exhilarating to be outside, and once I was able to run 10 km's, I felt like I might just be able to pull off the race, but I knew I wouldn't be fit for a standard distance, so I asked Team USA's Tim Yount to switch me to the sprint race in Australia which made my travel mates very happy, my mother and the infamous Jerianne Davis! We were on our way to Adelaide!
 |
| Thrilled to stand on the podium |
My mom had been looking forward to this trip for nearly a year, and all she could say when I told her I broke my clavicle was "are we still going to Australia?" Though not without it's challenges, I managed to land on the podium in silver position at Adelaide Worlds Sprint Distance Duathlon. My hamstring was strained, and my bike was broken during our flight...the Team USA masseuse worked on my hammy, and the brilliant Matt Conrad (
www.journeybicycles.com), a carbon fiber repair specialist, who just happened to be racing at Worlds, and just happened to have his carbon fiber repair kit with him, fixed my broken frame! I could not have been more grateful! I could not have made it through the race without these two.
After the race, I limped along the streets of Adelaide, the first tell tale signs that something was amiss. At the conclusion of the Long Course Nationals event in Texas, I would not race competitively again for well over a year.
My hubby was on his own roll in Duathlon, and we attended Long Course Nationals together. As I limped from our car to the restaurant the night before the race, Dan was as concerned about my foot as I was, but through strength of will I was able to fight through signifiant heal pain and secure my final master's win in Texas. My future in duathlon seemed precarious at best as I literally hobbled through November and December.
 |
| Long Course Du Nat's |
An initial visit to my orthopedist, Dr. DJ Flesher, indicated a possible stress fracture in my calcaneus bone and I was sentenced to wearing the dreaded immobilization boot. However, the foot pain increased, and I started to fear I would not be able to work; I could barely walk. After referral to a foot specialist (Dr. Joel Davis
Orthopedic Associates), I was diagnosed with chronic insertional achilles tendonitis. Physical therapy made matters worse and I was scheduled for surgery in February 2016. The goal? To walk again pain free...time to work on that mental toughness, to appreciate my abilities outside of running, outside of duathlon. Time to learn how to get on my bike while non-weight bearing and confined to the "boot" for 3 months...
 |
| Down for the long recovery |
 |
| USAT Tri Nat's |
I spent 2016 enjoying time with my family, working out on an indoor trainer, resuming my swim training and learning how to walk...I advanced to running about a mile or two in the hood by around May of 2016, and while I was able to "compete" at USAT Triathlon Nationals in the sprint distance event in August 2016, it was awkward and painful, but I was happy to be out on a race course!
...fast forward to 2017...
No comments:
Post a Comment